Down Memory Lane

Down Memory Lane

GERRY Mullan was introduced from the bench to devastating affect as he scored twice as our Down Memory Lane series continues with a recap of a 3-0 win against Crusaders in February 1989…


Saturday, 11th February, 1989


Crusaders 0-3 Coleraine

Goals – Mullan (’66 mins & ’80 mins), McCreadie (’72 mins).

Crusaders goalkeeper Bobby Brown, assisted by his defence, attempts to clear the ball from Marty Tabb during Saturday’s game at Seaview.


A GERRY Mullan double boosted Coleraine’s chances of finishing second and clinching a European place at a dreary Seaview on Saturday.

Mullan, a surprise choice as substitute, came on at the start of the second half and added a bit of sparkle after a boring first 45 minutes.

And with his former club slipping up against Glenavon, it means the Bannsiders are now joint second in the table, trailing the Glens on goal difference.

Mullan got the vital breakthrough after 66 minutes when he rose well at the near post to head Barry McCreadie’s cross past Bobby Brown.

Six minutes later, it was McCreadie’s turn to get in on the act when he ran onto a Ricky Wade pass and pushed the ball through the legs of the ‘keeper who had dashed off his line.

With Coleraine two goals to the good, the home side never really had any chance of coming back, and the points were wrapped up after 80 minutes when Mullan stabbed the ball over the line after Tom Sloan had supplied a good cross.

Crusaders best opportunity came in the closing stages when Michael Cash sent in a powerful header which Jim Platt somehow managed to keep out with a superb one handed save.

Coleraine’s second half showing, especially considering the weather conditions, was satisfactory, although along with their opponents, they struggled in the first period.

There was barely anything of note except the unfortunate injury to Crues striker Liam Smallwood who sustained a broken leg in a challenge with Anthony Gilmore after 19 minutes.

Both teams used their substitutes, Mullan coming on for Joe Bradley after the interval, and Liam McCloskey for Tom Sloan in the final few minutes when he had little time to show his ability.

For Crusaders, Joey McClure replaced the injured Smallwood and Stephen Dawson took over from Peter Greer.

Referee George Hyndes made one booking, defender Roy Walker who was guilty of dissent.


CRUSADERS: Brown, Burrowes, Stewart, Walker, Sloan, Cash, Greer (Dawson), Johnston, Hunter, Smallwood (McClure), McDowell.

COLERAINE: Platt, Quigley, Gilmore, J. Sloan, Tabb, Wade, McGurnaghan, Bradley (Mullan), McCreadie, McCoy, T. Sloan (McCloskey).


George Hyndes