Down Memory Lane

Down Memory Lane

WITH the on-going help of club historian Hunter McClelland, brings you the latest instalment of the ‘Down Memory Lane’ series as Johnny Black netted a brace in a 4-0 home win against Carrick Rangers in 2011…


Saturday, September 11, 2011


Coleraine 4-0 Carrick Rangers

Goals – Ogilby (’12 mins), Black (’16 mins & ’77 mins), Lowry (’85 mins)


COLERAINE made it three wins in a row by defeating Carrick Rangers 4-0 in today’s Carling Premiership match at the Showgrounds.

Keeping the same line-up and 4-3-3 formation which proved successful against Portadown last Saturday, Coleraine were soon into their stride and forced Carrick goalkeeper Chris Keenan into two good early saves from Curtis Allen and Shane Jennings.

But they didn’t have to wait too long to go in front as after 12 minutes, captain David Ogilby rose unmarked to head home Stephen Lowry’s excellent inswinging free kick from the left flank.

Before Carrick could properly recover from this blow, they found themselves 2-0 down as man of the moment Johnny Black drove the ball goalwards and with the aid of a deflection, it slipped beyond Keenan’s grasp and into the net. Not quite as memorable as his last goal, but important nonetheless.

Allen was then quick to react when one of the defenders misjudged the bounce of the ball, nipping in to steal it away from him and then hitting an excellent effort goalwards, which was kept out by an equally excellent save from the goalkeeper.

The visitors started to come into the contest towards the end of the half and had a period of sustained pressure, forcing a couple of set pieces leading to Lowry being forced to clear an effort off the line to preserve the two goal cushion.

Carrick’s John Boyce was denied by Doherty at the start of the second half, while Allen was denied a goal by a very harsh offside decision and a well-hit Lowry effort was held by Keenan as Coleraine pushed for a third which would effectively kill the game off.

It almost came in spectacular fashion as sub Ryan McIlmoyle picked out Leon Knight at the back post and the English forward hit the ball sweetly on the volley, only to be denied by another outstanding save from the Carrick number one.

But the third goal eventually arrived on 73 minutes as Black’s free kick from the right hand side was deflected past Keenan by the head of Carrick captain Davy McAlinden. Black was certainly claiming it though and thought he would have a chance to grab a hat-trick minutes later when ref Stephen Weatherall awarded a penalty for a trip on Allen. But Allen took on the spot kick himself and blazed the ball over the bar.

He did at least partially make amends four minutes from time, with an excellent lay-off to set up Stephen Lowry for Coleraine’s fourth, a powerful shot from the edge of the box which gave Keenan no chance.


COLERAINE: M Doherty; Canning, Beverland, Ogilby, Black; Tommons, Lowry (Clarke ’87 mins), McCauley (Scullion ’78 mins); Knight, Jennings (McIlmoyle ’72 mins), Allen.

Subs Not Used: Cullen (GK), McNulty.

CARRICK RANGERS: Keenan, Murray, McAlinden, Lagan, Hogan, Harmon, Smith, Deans (Hutchinson ’46 mins), Owens (Heatley ’60 mins), Boyce (Taggart ’78 mins), McDowell.

Subs Not Used: Valko (GK), Bell.


Stephen Weatherall