Down Memory Lane

Down Memory Lane

WITH the help of club historian Hunter McClelland, will bring you a weekly recap of matches played from years gone by starting with a home clash against Ards in October 2004…


Saturday, October 9, 2004.


Coleraine 3-0 Ards

Goals – Carson (34 mins), Moon (44 mins), Armstrong (75 mins)


COLERAINE comfortably secured their first win in the championship.

Goals from Stephen Carson and Bryce Moon had Marty Quinn’s boys in front at half time with Sean Armstrong adding a third before Ards’ Padraig Gollogley was sent off.

Coleraine suffered a blow with striker Jody Tolan hobbling off early on.

Ciaran O’Connor replaced him.

Goalkeeper Andrew Fox rescued Ards to turn away a strike from Bryce Moon.

Ards finally tested Coleraine keeper Davy O’Hare after 31 minutes but he was equal to Derek Delaney’s shot.

Armstrong somehow contrived to miss a chance crafted by Carson’s pace as he burst past defender David Murphy to set up the striker whose left foot shot was well off target.

Coleraine finally opened their account in 34 minutes and it was Carson who caught keeper Fox unawares with a free kick.

The ball bounced in front of Fox and into the net.

It took a superb tackle from Kyle McVey to stop Ards striker Sean Cleary but Coleraine went into the interval two up.

Moon darted in at the back post to head a Carson cross past Fox in the 44th minute.

Fox produced a reflex save to deny Carson a second goal just after the restart.

Gary Haveron and Moon combined to open up the Ards defence and Moon’s cross found the unmarked Carson in front of goal but his side footed effort was turned away by the keeper.

Pat McAllister clipped a shot wide before Fox brilliantly pushed out another shot from O’Connor and Carson steered the rebound wide.

Coleraine reached the comfort zone with Armstrong running onto a through ball from Moon and steaming in to coolly slot past the ‘keeper.

It’s fair to say that Coleraine manager Marty Quinn enjoyed his weekend after his players did everything that was asked of them against Ards on Saturday.

“I was delighted,” said Quinn after the game.

“At half-time I asked the players to cast their minds back to Limavady during the week when we were 2-0 up and threw it away.

“I said to the boys I wanted a clean sheet and another goal or two. If we could do that, l said, we could have a nice evening and a nice weekend and thankfully that’s the way it turned out.

“My only concern was that we didn’t kill them off earlier. Stephen (Carson) had a great chance at the start of the second half but to be fair their -‘keeper pulled off a great save.

“But l’m pleased to get our first win and it sets us up nicely for this weekend’s trip to Windsor Park.”


COLERAINE: O’Hare, Johnson, Flynn, Clanachan, Mcvey, Armstrong, Moon, Haveron, Tolan, (O’Connor 15), McAllister, Carson. Subs not used: Devine, Fulton.

ARDS: Fox, Bailie, Pike, Murphy, Goliogey, McCrory, Cleary, Campbell, Hunter, (Lawless 84), Watson, Delaney (sub Dougherty 82). Sub not used: Murray.


Ken Ginnet