PSNI have issued the following information to Coleraine supporters ahead of this weekend’s Irish Cup final…
1. Police are reminding fans that there are specific offences created by the Justice Act NI 2011 in relation to soccer matches-
- Possession of Fireworks/ Flares etc
- Throwing Articles capable of causing injury
- Going on to the Playing area
- Sectarian Chanting
- Drinking on Passenger Carrying Vehicles
2. In addition all fans are reminded that the areas around the Stadium are “No Street Drinking” zones under Belfast City Council By-Laws. Any Street drinking taking place will be dealt with and any alcohol found seized.
3. Any public indecency offences such as urinating in public will be robustly dealt with.
4. Maximum Use of CCTV, Landrover Roof Top and Hand Held Video Evidence Equipment will be made both inside and outside the Stadium as part of the Policing Operation Criminal Justice Strategy in an effort to deal with any offences which come to light.
Police will take all steps to identify and deal with anyone who has been or is committing offences.
5. It is important for supporter and community safety that these instructions are complied with and that the impact of the event on the local residential and business communities is minimised.
It is hoped that a common sense approach to the afternoon will be adopted and the occasion enjoyed by all.
Police will be advising Coleraine fans travelling to the Cup Final to approach the ground from the Lisburn Road. The best route for buses /coaches will be exiting the M1 at Stockmans Lane and then turning left along the Lisburn Road, dropping off on the main Lisburn Road
Adjacent to Lower Windsor Avenue, Edinburgh St or close to the Tates Avenue junction to allow fans to walk to the Donegall Ave entrance via Gt Northern St footbridge or Tates Avenue. Police No Waiting/Parking Cones will be placed along the Tates Avenue for spectator/public safety.
Once the buses drop off they should lie up along the Wide Streets off the Lisburn Road with consideration to resident and business access being of paramount importance, and would be advised to be facing countrywards for pick up which again would be advisable to be Lisburn Rd, Stockmans Lane and M1. This would avoid both Glenmachan Street and the Boucher Rd which are likely to be extremely busy with Saturday afternoon traffic and Cliftonville FC fans who will be entering the ground via Boucher.
Fans travelling by train should Exit/return Adelaide Halt via Great Northern Street and access the ground via the railway footbridge.
All persons travelling by private vehicle should be reminded that private residences and businesses should be treated with courtesy and consideration.