Danske Bank Premiership: Matchday 5

Dungannon Swifts 0 - 5 Coleraine
02 Sep 2022 - 19:45Stangmore Park

COLERAINE recovered from their first defeat of the season in fine style as they beat Dungannon Swifts at Stangmore Park…

Bannsiders boss Oran Kearney made four changes to his starting line-up as Gareth Deane, Adam Mullan, Aaron Jarvis and Conor McKendry were all drafted in but it would be the hosts who would have the first effort of the evening as Ethan McGee fed in Joe McCready but his strike was comfortably saved.

However, the deadlock would be broken on 11 minutes as Coleraine countered expertly after defending a corner kick. The ball would be picked up by McKendry and he released the run of Jamie Glackin. The winger burst into the box and his cut back forced Caolan Marron into scoring an own goal.

On 19 minutes, Dungannon would threaten via a set-piece as James Knowles’ effort from 25 yards was gathered by Deane. The visitors’ high press was proving to put the hosts in danger and Coleraine would go close again as McKendry picked out Lynch inside the box was his drilled effort was deflected around the post by Dean Curry.

That pressure would be awarded as Coleraine doubled their lead on 37 minutes with Lynch and Glackin involved yet again. The pair traded passes on the left-hand side with the latter’s cross being blasted in at the back post by Kieran Farren for his first goal in Coleraine colours.

The goals wouldn’t end there as the Bannsiders made it 3-0 on 43 minutes. A defence splitting pass allowed Lynch to drive into the area and the midfielder timed his cross to perfection as Matthew Shevlin tapped home his seventh goal of the campaign.

On the stroke of half-time, Coleraine would grab a fourth with Glackin and Lynch the tormentors in chief once more. The Stripes would seize possession and quick counter as Josh Carson, Shevlin and Lynch all combined to play through Glackin who made no mistake.

The second-half would prove to be a more quiet affair and it would be the Swifts who would go close just after the hour mark as another free-kick from Knowles just went over the crossbar.

The fixture allowed Kearney to give more game time to members of his squad as Evan McLaughlin, James McLaughlin and Michael McCrudden were brought on from the bench. However, Dean Shiels’ side would have the next chance as Michael Ruddy’s goal bound effort was blocked.

With ten minutes to go, the Stripes would have the goal mouth action as loose play by the Swifts was picked upon by the lively Glackin and he slipped through James McLaughlin. The striker powered his way through on goal but his effort would be denied by Dunne.

As the game entered the final stages, there would be time for another Coleraine player to score his first goal as substitute Jack O’Mahony cut the ball back for McCrudden who arrowed a strike into the back of the net.

An excellent performance by Coleraine who ensured they returned to winning ways in fine style.

DUNGANNON SWIFTS: Dunne, Scott (Animasahun ’46 mins), Marron (McGinty ’46 mins), Knowles, McCready (O’Connor ’75 mins), Campbell, Curry, Gallagher (Walsh ’41 mins), Barr (Convie ’82 mins), Ruddy, McGee.

Subs Not Used: Groogan (GK), Coyle.

COLERAINE: Deane, Kane, D. Jarvis, Mullan (O’Donnell ’85 mins), A. Jarvis, McKendry (E. McLaughlin ’70 mins), Carson, Farren, Lynch (McCrudden ’70 mins), Glackin (O’Mahony ’85 mins), Shevlin (J. McLaughlin ’70 mins)

Subs Not Used: Gallagher (GK), Mitchell.

Referee: Ben McMaster