Sports Direct Premiership: Matchday 2

Loughgall 1 - 2 Coleraine
11 Aug 2023 - 19:45Lakeview Park

COLERAINE came away with all three points after beating a well organised Loughgall side 2-1 at Lakeview Park…

By: Charlie Cooke

Oran Kearney made two changes to the starting line-up from last Friday’s match against Ballymena which saw Lyndon Kane replace Stephen O’Donnell in defence and in attack Matthew Shevlin was replaced by Andrew Mitchell.

With two minutes played, a corner was whipped from the left which somehow made it to the back post as Gareth Deane tried to come off his line to deal with the ball, but the ball dropped into a cluster of Loughall players which saw Andrew Hoey find the back of the Coleraine net from close range on two minutes.

Two minutes later, the Bannsiders equalised after good work from Lee Lynch as he found Conor McKendry in the penalty area from the left wing. Conor saw his deflected shot end up in the bottom right corner to cap off a blistering start.

On 14 minutes, Deane made a fantastic acrobatic save in his top left corner from Tiernan Kelly’s rasping strike from just outside the Coleraine box. One minute later, David McDaid was found on the left wing, he outmuscled his man and cut in, but his shot from long range ended up going over the crossbar.

With 20 minutes on the clock, Jamie Glackin put a ball into the box which found an unmarked McDaid, however, unfortunately his was touch too heavy and the ball bobbled away from him.

Five minutes later, Mitchell made it 2-1 to the Bannsiders as Andy Scott found the striker with a cute ball in the penalty area. The 29-year-old showed his experience as he confidently found the back of the net with a real poacher’s finish.

With 33 minutes gone, McKendry fired a cross into box, the ball which was diverted into Lynch’s feet from 20 yards but his attempt was well wide of the mark.

With five minutes left in the first half, Mitchell received the ball from Scott at the edge of penalty area, he turned and got his shot away, but it was directed into Turker’s gloves.

On 43 minutes, McDaid regained the possession for the Bannsiders, he broke the Loughall defence and was one-on-one with the ‘keeper, however Turker made a save with the palm of his hand to push it by the post.

The last action of the half saw the Bannsiders counter-attack from a Loughall corner. Glackin went on a solo run that started in his own half, he passed to McDaid who saw his strike from outside the box sail over the woodwork.

Three minutes into the second half, McDaid and Mitchell combined as the former knocked the ball down to the latter, he had a shot go across Turker and just by the post.

On 50 minutes, Scott went on a piercing solo run which saw Andy leave the Loughall defender for dead but his low effort resulted in Turker making another quality save this time using his fingertips.

At the other end, Deane made a good save again as Pablo Andrade cut into the Coleraine box from the right wing before seeing his shot being pushed out by the Bannsiders stopper.

On the hour mark, Conor McKendry found himself one-on-one with Turker as he charged forward but the ‘keeper came off his line to cut the angle. However, the lively McKendry was quick to react as he saw his looping shot go over Turker’s head, unfortunately for Conor, it also looped out of play for a goal kick.

On 72 minutes, Glackin found McDaid on the left wing in space deep in the opposition’s half with a long ball over the top McDaid saw his shot go just past the post.

With 83 minutes gone, the Bannsiders were awarded a penalty after Scott played a timed through ball that found McDaid who was pulled down in box by Caolan Loughran. The penalty was taken by Dean Jarvis who tried to place it into the bottom right corner, but it was well saved by Turker.

The last piece of play of the game saw Loughgall awarded a free kick right on the line of the Coleraine penalty area on the right wing. A dangerous ball was delivered into the box which found the head of Loughran but luckily for the Bannsiders his header went wide of the woodwork.

Coleraine’s next match sees the Bannsiders take on Carrick Rangers at the Loughview Leisure Arena on Tuesday night.

LOUGHGALL: Turker, Rea, Murdock, Kelly, Andrade, Teggart, Ferris (Magee ’81 mins), Hoey (Patton ‘70 mins), Cartwright, Balde (McAleer ’61 mins), Loughran.

Subs Not Used: Devine (GK), Norton, McMenemy, Carroll.

COLERAINE: Deane, Kane, D. Jarvis, Kelly, McKendry (Harkin ’76 mins), Lowry, McDaid, Lynch, Glackin, Mitchell (O’Mahony ’59 mins), Scott.

Subs Not Used: Donnelly (GK), A. Jarvis, Farren, McCrudden, Doherty.

Referee: Ben McMaster