Tennent’s Irish Cup Fifth Round

Coleraine 2 - 0 H&W Welders
05 Jan 2019 - 15:00The Showgrounds

THE Bannsiders started their Irish Cup defence in a positive manner as they enjoyed a comfortable 2-0 win over H&W Welders as an own goal and James McLaughlin’s strike booked Coleraine’s place in the sixth round…

The home side started the brighter as Ian Parkhill went close in the opening minutes.

Jamie McGonigle had a great chance on 16 minutes as the striker flicked Parkhill’s corner narrowly over the crossbar.

The Welders threatened on 31 minutes as Ryan Deans fired over. Initially the Bannsiders failed to clear from a corner but the Welders attacker failed to capitalise from inside the box.

Coleraine were dealt a blow minutes later as debutant Jamie Glackin limped off with what looked to be a head injury.

The Irish Cup holders turned up the heat before the interval as McGonigle had a certain goal denied en route to goal. The home side’s persistence paid off as they went in front on 42 minutes. Substitute Alexander Gawne fired an effort towards goal and his effort took a deflection off Chris Morrow as the ball found the back of the net.

Coleraine looked to have doubled their lead on 44 minutes. Josh Carson watched on as he thumped the ball off the underside of the crossbar before being cleared from danger by a Welders’ defender.

Eoin Bradley had an effort saved before the break but it was the Irish Cup holders who enjoyed the lead at the interval as the visitors rarely threatened in the first half.

The Bannsiders should have made it 2-0 at the start of the second half as Parkhill sent Eoin Bradley through on goal. The striker opted for the first time shot and blazed his effort past the post.

Rodney McAree’s side had a further attempt to extend the lead on 59 minutes. Firstly, youngster Alexander Gawne slammed an attempt off the post before Bradley had an attempt cleared off the line.

Gawne turned provider for Stephen Lowry on 61 minutes as the midfielder ran towards goal but his effort was denied by a last ditch block.

H&W Welders almost equalised against the run of play on 68 minutes. A well work move teed up Scott Davidson who fired the ball off the base of the post from the edge of the box.

James McLaughlin did fire Coleraine further in front on 74 minutes. The second half substitute produced a neat finish lifting the ball over the head of Ryan Brown to grab his fourth goal in five games.

It was almost three late on as Alexander Gawne ran through the Welders’ defence before curling his effort just wide of the post.

In the end, it proved a routine win for Coleraine as they face Dergview in the next round.

COLERAINE: Johns, Mullan, Doherty (Edgar ‘46 mins), Douglas, Canning, Carson, Lowry, Glackin (Gawne ‘31 mins), McGonigle, Bradley (McLaughlin ‘71 mins), Parkhill

Subs not used: Doherty, O’Donnell, McConaghie, Whiteside.

H&W WELDERS: Brown, Hammill, Armstrong, Harris (Hall ‘87 mins), McMillan, Deans (Grierson ’78 mins), Davidson, Graham (McIlmail ‘70 mins), Arthurs, Morrow, Dornan.

Subs not used: Bolton, Craig.

Referee: Andrew Davey