shopping-bag 0
Items : 0
Subtotal : £0.00
View Cart Check Out


Ladies reach summit

COLERAINE Ladies moved to the top of the NIFWA Division Two after a comfortable 4-0 win against Larne Ladies…

Coleraine Ladies hosted Larne Ladies at Rugby Avenue for their sixth league game of the season.

Coleraine went into the game with confidence following a fine win against Armagh Ladies in the Super Cup. The game was end to end with both teams determined to get a foothold in the game but it was Larne who were applying more pressure and were forcing the Coleraine team to work hard in the opening minutes.

Whilst Coleraine looked strong in defence, the same couldn’t be said for Larne when somehow a shot from Abbey Alexander crept over the line due to two players colliding when trying to clear. This resulted in a Larne player handling the ball into the net on 13 minutes against the run of play.

No doubt this annoyed Larne and they continued pushing and playing good football, but the Coleraine side were not to be taken lightly and dug deep doing their defensive duties from back to front when not in possession. On 37 minutes, Coleraine caught out the Larne defencewhen a long ball over the top from Lizzy McNougher set Abbey Alexander off and she finished low into the corner making the score 2-0.

Coleraine Ladies came out for the second-half knowing they needed the next goal as if Larne got it, then they were right back in the game because they were by no means making it easy for Coleraine. Both teams continued to battle it out when Kylie Doherty for Larne thought she was one-on-one with the ‘keeper when Shairee McVey made the recovery run and timed her tackle perfectly in the box to clear the danger.

Alison Nicholl then narrowly put a free-kick over the bar when Kirsty Gillis had been wiped out. Caitlin Gourely disappeared down the wing to help Coleraine’s push for the next goal only for her cross to be blocked and go out for a corner-kick. From the resulting set-piece, Sam Miskimmon found herself free at the back post to head home putting the Bannsiders 3-0 ahead on 70 minutes.

Even with the scoreline the game never dulled as both teams continued to battle it out. Carla Dickie done well to hold the ball up and find Kirsty Gillis who netted Coleraine’s fourth goal of the match to round of her man of the match performance on 82 minutes. The game was to finish 4-0 to Coleraine and the girls marched of the pitch delighted knowing each one of them put in a shift.

Coleraine now travel to Omagh on Wednesday night to play Mountjoy in the League Cup.