Last Time Out

Last Time Out

JOHNNY Stewart would be the Coleraine hero as he netted an extra-time winner against Loughgall back in 2013…


Monday, August 26, 2013


Coleraine 2-1 Loughgall AET

Goals – Douglas (’51 mins), Stewart (’95 mins); Haire (‘6 mins)


JOHNNY Stewart enjoyed a dream debut for Coleraine as he headed in the extra-time winner which put the Bannsiders into the third round of the Northern Ireland League Cup.

Coleraine endured an evening of struggle against the Championship One outfit, who scored early on and defended resolutely for the remainder of the contest.

Loughgall took the lead on six minutes with their first clear opening of the game, Haire was played through by Ballard, he turned Steven Douglas and fired a shot past Drummond. Visiting ‘keeper McKinstry had a dodgy moment as he dropped Paul Owens’ cross and Stephen Lowry attempted to convert but was denied by a block from a defender.

Coleraine were denied a penalty on 20 minutes as Browne was manhandled in the box, but referee John Deighan wasn’t moved by their appeals. McKinstry then did well to save a header from Shane Jennings.

Coleraine had a lot of pressure in the first half but were unable to make it count against a solid Loughgall backline, who sat deep, denying the Bannsiders space and time on the ball.

But they started the second half in a more positive fashion as Ruairi Harkin whipped in the corner and Douglas rose highest to hammer a header into the net.

It was an eventful night for Douglas as on the hour mark he was given his marching orders after what seemed an innocuous tussle in the middle of the park. There was a huge chance for the visitors as Niall Lavery headed well wide when unmarked inside the penalty box.

Tommons almost finished a neat build-up but McKinstry got down well to make the save. Lowry almost gifted the visitors a goal as he sold Ogilby short with a pass and Daniel Ryan intercepted, but fortunately for Coleraine he fired wide of the target.

Coleraine had a huge chance to win it on 86 minutes as Lowry fired in a shot which struck the crossbar and the loose ball was scrambled away under pressure by McKinstry. Coleraine survived a penalty appeal late on in the game as Hegarty looked to have upended the visiting striker.

The game went into extra time and Coleraine made the breakthrough on 95 minutes as sub Johnny Stewart headed home Lowry’s free kick. The Bannsiders kept up the pressure but were let down by some sloppy passing and were almost caught out right at the end of the first half of extra time as Haire fired over the bar.

Late on Drummond made an excellent save to tip an effort from Adam Rodgers over the bar and then there was another close shave as Loughgall headed wide from the resulting corner.


COLERAINE: Drummond, Beverland, McIlmoyle, Douglas, Owens (Ogilby ’71 mins), Lowry, Browne, Harkin (Hegarty ’71 mins), Canning, Jennings (Stewart ’67 mins), Tommons.

Subs Not Used: Watt, Bradley.


John Deighan

*Many thanks to Hunter McClelland for the research*