Last Time Out

Last Time Out

MATTHEW Shevlin would hold his nerve from the spot to give 10-man Coleraine a slender win against Carrick Rangers at The Showgrounds…


Tuesday, January 24, 2023


Coleraine 1-0 Carrick Rangers

Goal – Shevlin (’70 mins)


COLERAINE would dig deep to earn a massive three points as Matthew Shevlin’s penalty saw off the resistance of Carrick Rangers at The Showgrounds.

Looking to continue their recent fine form the Bannsiders nearly got off to the perfect start in the 7th minute of the game. The two in-form forwards combined as Conor McKendry curled a delicious cross onto the head of top goalscorer, Matthew Shevlin. However, the forward could only place his header directly at keeper Ross Glendinning from six yards out.

Coleraine went close to scoring again in the 10th minute with McKendry curling a right footed effort into the side netting from the edge of the box. An early blow struck in the 24th minute as McKendry picked up an injury and had to be replaced by new signing Andrew Scott.

Despite the loss of McKendry, Scott’s impact was immediate as he produced a brilliant piece of play in the 28th minute, beating his man before pulling the ball back to Jamie Glackin 12 yards out. The creative midfielder couldn’t produce a clean strike on goal with small shouts of a penalty being voiced.

Another big chance came Coleraine’s way in the 40th minute as Glackin put an inviting cross into the box from the right hand side, Shevlin and Michael McCrudden failed to get any touch on the ball meaning the first half ended goalless.

Manager Oran Kearney made his second substitution of the game at the half-time interval, replacing Michael McCrudden with midfielder Lee Lynch.

Glackin picked up Coleraine’s first booking of the game in the 55th minute after the midfielder made a complaint that was badly received by referee Andrew Davey. However, the Omagh man was in the book yet again in the 58th minute this time receiving a straight red card after a late challenge on a Carrick defender Steven Gordon.

The visitors first big chance of the game nearly resulted in a goal as captain David Cushley intercepted an attempted pass from goalkeeper Martin Gallagher before firing his effort inches wide of the post.

Coleraine came very close to opening the scoring in the 62nd minute after Dean Jarvis’s cross from the left hand side landed just missed a vital touch from both Shevlin and Scott.

After a brilliant pass from substitute Lee Lynch was dummied by Lyndon Kane the ball fell perfectly into Shevlin’s path, the forward’s effort on goal was well saved by the keeper. However, Shevlin quickly got back to his feet pouncing on the second ball before getting fouled to the floor, with the result being a penalty kick.

The inform striker continued his brilliant goalscoring form sending Glendinning the wrong way from the spot to claim his 22nd goal of the season in the 70th minute. Soon after, Josh Carson almost doubled the Bannsiders lead from a freekick, with his curled effort around the wall going narrowly wide of the post.

Gallagher kept the game at 1-0 in the 79th minute after a world class save denying Lloyd Anderson from point blank range after the midfielder had been picked out by substitute Nedas Maciulaitis.

The Bannsiders managed to comfortably see out the remainder of the game to claim their 14th league victory of the season.


COLERAINE: Gallagher, Kane, D. Jarvis, Brown, McKendry (Scott ’24 mins), McCrudden (Lynch ’46 mins), Carson, O’Donnell, Glackin, McDermott, Shevlin (Fyfe ’86 mins).

Subs Not Used: McDowell (GK), A. Jarvis, Farren, O’Mahony.

CARRICK RANGERS: Ross Glendinning, Forsythe, Surgenor (Maciulaitis ’71 mins), Ervin, Gordon, Cushley (Dupree ’76 mins), McGuckin, Cherry, Reece Glendinning (Kalla ’68 mins), Tilney, Anderson.

Subs Not Used: Hogg (GK), Buchanan-Rolleston, Waite, Andrews.


Andrew Davey