Learning curve for young Bannsiders

COLERAINE Youths put in a spirited performance but just came up short as they were beaten 2-0 by Manchester United at Seahaven…

The challenge match was hosted by the SuperCup NI organising committee after the cancellation of this year’s tournament due to COVID-19 regulations.

In a slow start to proceedings, it took until the 14th minute for the first chance to arrive as a fantastic ball found Victor Musa inside the box but he was denied by superb defending from Shea Gallagher.

However, it would be Musa who would break the deadlock two minutes later as a ball into the box from Jacob Devaney allowed Musa to simply tap home from close range.

Just before the half hour mark, the visitors would double their lead as a long range free-kick from Jack Moorhouse bounced just under the body of Henry and into the back of the net.

The Red Devils would threaten after the restart as winger Shea Lacey cut inside from the right-hand side but his effort sailed wide from just outside the box.

At the other end, Coleraine would have a strike towards goal from distance but Paul Keogh failed to test Tom Myles.

The Red Devils should have put the game to bed just before the hour mark as Ethan Wheatley was sent clean through but Henry smothered his attempt with brave goalkeeping.

Henry would once again come to Coleraine’s rescue as he rushed out to smother the shot of Jaden Jones.

With Coleraine first-team boss Oran Kearney in attendance, the Bannsiders began to grow into the game and gave it a real go with 25 minutes remaining.

A superb pass from Bobby Jack McAleese found Jack Elliot inside the box and his cross/shot went inches by the far post. Moments later, Lewis Tosh would show great trickery to find Senan Devine but his strike failed to test Myles.

The Stripes would miss a glorious chance to claw their way back into the game on 73 minutes. A great delivery into the box by Tosh found Gallagher but his lob sailed over the bar with Myles beaten.

The visiting stopper was proving to be a thorn in the Coleraine attack as he preserved his clean sheet late on as he denied Elliot from a tight angle as United recorded a 2-0 victory.

The game finished with penalty kicks to allow both teams to experience the pressure of hitting from 12 yards with a crowd. All five Manchester United spot kicks were successful, with Gallagher and Tosh having their shots saved.

MANCHESTER UNITED: Myles, Devaney, Giggs, Parker, Kingdon, Moorhouse, Missin, T. Jones, Wheatley, J. Jones, Musa.

Subs: Murdock, Halliday, Kamason, Lacey, Munro, Fitzgerald, Oriola, Scanlon, Ibragimov.

COLERAINE: Henry, Stewart, McBride, Callaghan, Keogh, Tosh, Riley, Patton, Moffat, Cullen.

Subs: Donnelly, Campbell, Campbell, Greer, Devine, McAleese, Elliott, McCafferty.

Referee: Shane McGonigle