Last Time Out

Last Time Out

CATHAIR Friel would come off the bench and net a dramatic equaliser as Coleraine and Glentoran played out an entertaining draw last month…


Saturday, October 16, 2021


Glentoran 2-2 Coleraine

Goals – J. Donnelly (’51 mins & ’65 mins); McKendry (’15 mins), Friel (’80 mins)


COLERAINE and Glentoran would draw for a fourth successive time as the two sides shared four goals in an entertaining affair at The Oval.

The Bannsiders made three changes to their starting line-up from the midweek win against Carrick Rangers as Aaron Traynor, Conor McKendry and Eoin Bradley were reinstated to the starting eleven and they showed their intent early doors as Jamie Glackin stroked an effort wide of the far post.

Two minutes later, the visitors tested the gloves of Aaron McCarey as Eoin Bradley’s 25-yard free-kick bounced in front of the stopper who was able to palm away the danger. However, on 15 minutes there was nothing the former Cliftonville stopper could do as McKendry’s strike from 25 yards sailed into the back of the net for his fourth goal of the season.

Unsurprisingly, McKendry’s tail was up and he would have the next strike on target as his left foot effort – from Bradley’s lay off – was straight down the throat of McCarey. Just after half hour mark, the Stripes had Gareth Deane to thank as the stopper first denied Hrevoje Plum from inside the box before getting up and saving from Jay Donnelly’s rebound.

Mick McDermott’s men would end the half strongly as Conor McMenamin’s cross into the box found Robbie McDaid but the attacker couldn’t sort out his feet and the danger was cleared. Minutes later, Ciaran O’Connor was allowed to advance forward but his strike failed to find the target before Jay Donnelly saw another opportunity clawed out by Deane.

Coleraine would have to make an enforced substitution at the break as Rodney Brown – who came off injured in the midweek win at Carrick – was replaced by Adam Mullan. The second-half started like the first ended as Glentoran were on the front foot and they equalised on 51 minutes as Bigirimana’s delivery was met by the head of Jay Donnelly who nodded home.

As the rain poured in east Belfast, both sides would threaten from distance as Plum fired over from distance, with McKendry’s free-kick at the other end looking destined to find the top corner but McCarey somehow tipped the ball around for a corner.

On 65 minutes, the game would change on its head as referee Andrew Davey pointed to the spot as McKendry was adjudged to have brought down Bobby Burns inside the box. The ball was picked up by Donnelly who confidently dispatched from 12 yards to give Glentoran the lead.

The Bannsiders would draw level on 80 minutes as Lyndon Kane went on a strong run from deep, evaded two challenges and slipped the ball into the feet of Cathair Friel. The substitute would calmly roll his finish into the bottom corner for his fifth goal of the season. A subsequent melee would occur between McCarey and Burns which saw the Glens ‘keeper dismissed for lashing out at his own player.

Oran Kearney’s men would create one final chance at the death as Stephen O’Donnell’s header went straight into the gloves of Ross Glendinning as the honours were shared.


GLENTORAN: McCarey, McCullough, Bigirimana, Burns, Marshall, J. Donnelly (Glendinning ’83 mins), McDaid (R. Donnelly ’49 mins), McClean, O’Connor (Garrett ’84 mins), McMenamin, Plum (Clucas ’78 mins)

Subs Not Used: Mitchell, Cushnie, Smith.

COLERAINE: Deane, Kane, Brown (Mullan ’46 mins), McKendry, Lowry, Bradley (Friel ’63 mins), Carson, O’Donnell, Glackin, Traynor, Shevlin.

Subs Not Used: Gallagher (GK), Jarvis, Wilson, Parkhill, Kelly.


Andrew Davey