Last Time Out

Last Time Out

CONOR McKendry’s second-half brace helped the Bannsiders inflict a 2-0 defeat on Crusaders back in November…


Saturday, November 4, 2023


Crusaders 0-2 Coleraine

Goals – McKendry (’54 mins & ’77 mins)


CONOR McKendry’s second-half brace helped Coleraine inflict a 2-0 defeat on Crusaders at Seaview.

Oran Kearney made one change for the contest as Andrew Mitchell was tasked at leading the line at the expense of David McDaid who was was named as a substitute.

In a blistering start to the game, Crusaders ace Ben Kennedy would see his effort from the edge of the box deflect just wide following a touch off Kieran Farren. Soon after, Jamie Glackin’s cross from the left wing was cleared and the ball landed at Conor McKendry’s feet whose low drive was well caught by Johnny Tuffey.

Just past the half hour mark, Coleraine were awarded a free-kick 25 yards out from goal after McKendry was fouled before he could’ve made his way into the Crues’ penalty area. Set-piece specialist Josh Carson saw his well hit effort tipped over the crossbar by Tuffey.

With 33 minutes played, Mitchell nodded the ball down for Andy Scott who took the ball and drove forward and found McKendry on the edge of the box. Unfortunately for Conor, his shot was deflected out for a corner as Coleraine fans clapped their appreciation for good football being played.

The last action of the first half saw Gareth Deane make an Incredible save as he somehow palmed away Paul Heatley’s deflected half volley from just outside the box.

Less than ten minutes after the restart, Coleraine and McKendry would make the breakthrough as Glackin and Scott were heavily involved. The ball was worked to the in-form winger just inside the box and his near post drive fizzed into the bottom corner

Two minutes later, the lead was almost doubled as Glackin dribbled into the box and flashed a dangerous ball across goal but just as Scott looked certain to pounce, he was thwarted by last ditch defending by the hosts. The resulting corner kick saw Kieran Farren’s header go inches over the crossbar.

Just before the hour mark, Mitchell rolled his marker at the edge of the box and burst into penalty area but his low drive was tipped away by Tuffey. At the other end, the Stripes had Farren to thank as the big defender somehow headed the ball away from his own goal line as Heatley looked certain to equalise.

That intervention was even more important as the Bannsiders went further ahead on 77 minutes. A long ball forward by Dean Jarvis and was misjudged by Billy Joe Burns and latched on to by McKendry, who dribbled into the box and slotted the ball past Tuffey in the Crusaders net.

On 84 minutes, McKendry almost went home with the match ball as his shot from an acute angle was palmed away by Tuffey, with Lee Lynch’s rebound being scrambled away on the line.

The last action of the game saw Jarlath O’Rourke’s cross find the head of Jordan Owens whose header was on target, but the safe hands of Deane were ready to catch the ball to preserve the clean sheet.

After a great performance with lots of hard work throughout, the schedule continues as we are on the road against Ballymena United in the BetMcLean Cup on Tuesday night.


CRUSADERS: Tuffey, Burns, Lowry, B. Kennedy, Lecky (Owens ’68 mins), Teelan (Winchester ’68 mins), Forsythe (Anderson ’78 mins), O’Rourke, Larmour, Smith, Heatley.

Subs Not Used: Kerr (GK), M. Kennedy, Maguire, James.

COLERAINE: Deane, Kane, D. Jarvis, Kelly, McKendry, Carson, Farren, Glackin, Mitchell (McDaid ’80 mins), Wallace, Scott (Lynch ’80 mins).

Subs Not Used: Gallagher (GK), A. Jarvis, O’Mahony, McCrudden, Devine.


Tony Clarke